If a death has occurred and you are unsure, please call us 559-896-2261. There are online planning forms and resource pages, but we want to be available to help you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
The unexpected death of a loved one can be shocking, confusing, and painful all at once. In such a stressful situation, it is helpful to have everything that must be done laid out for you in writing. To help families cope with the unexpected death of a loved one, we’ve drafted the checklist below.
- Call 911 and inform the authorities.
- Call Thomas-Marcom Funeral Home.
- Contact close family and friends; if this is too difficult for you, recruit a friend to assist with the phone calls.
- Search for written instructions drafted by the person who has died for memorial arrangements, burial preferences, and a will. If you have made prearrangements we will have them on file.
- If a written will has been found, transfer all related paperwork to a trustee or third party.
- If there is no will, begin working with the State to disperse the estate legally.
- Locate all important papers, such as deeds, titles, promissory notes, and loans.
- Make a list of all reoccurring bills, and contact the payees to inform them of the individual’s passing.
- Begin to plan the funeral arrangements with a reputable funeral home or funeral director.
The days and weeks immediately following the death of a loved one are extremely difficult. We hope this simple checklist will make things easier for you and your family as you begin to prepare the funeral arrangements. If for any reason you need assistance with any of these arrangements on this checklist, do not hesitate to call us 24 hours a day at (559) 896-2261.